Arthritis Expert Forum
hi whats anklosing spondilitis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

hi whats anklosing spondilitis?

hi doctor, I went to the doctor today yesterday because I had terrible pain in my hips and lower back.  the doctor told me that I may either have polymyalgia rheumatica or anklosing spondilitis.  I have had arthritis in my fingers for several years and would like to know whether I can treat these new types of arthritis with my current medication.  I have been taking ansaid, thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear 49ersfan,

We woild want to give sufficient information about AS for your understanding.
Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS), is a form of Spondyloarthritis, is a chronic, inflammatory arthritis and autoimmune disease.

It causes inflammation, stiffness, and a great deal of pain in joints in the spine and the sacroilium in the pelvis, causing eventual fusion of the spine. In addition to the spine, the disease can and often does affect other joints throughout the body such as the shoulders, elbows, hips, knees, feet, as well as other joints. At times organs such as the eyes, heart, lungs, colon, and kidneys can be affected as well.

It is a member of the group of the spondyloarthropathies with a strong genetic predisposition. Complete fusion results in a complete rigidity of the spine, a condition known as bamboo spine.

No cure is known for AS, although treatments and medications are available to reduce symptoms and pain. These are the same what you have been using till now.

Physical Therapy with a Physical Therapist who is educated and trained in Spondylitis can be helpful.

Polymyalgia rheumatica (meaning "pain in many muscles" in Greek), abbreviated as PMR, is an inflammatory condition of the muscles, which causes pain or stiffness, usually in the neck, shoulders, and hips. The pain can be very sudden, or can occur gradually over a period of time.

So we would think that your pain is from the joints and bones are effected so it might be Ankylosing Sponilitis.

Take care!
I have ankylosing Spondylitis was diagnosed in 2000, medically retired from my job because of it in 2003, it doesn't appear to have gotten much worst or any better for that matter, one thing is for certain its a nasty disease and will cause a lot suffering, the strongest thing I take for it is ibuprofen and panadol combined.