Arthritis Expert Forum
much pain 12 years after total knee replacement
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

much pain 12 years after total knee replacement

I am 54 had total knee replacement 12 years ago,(2 other operations before that), first when I was 15, knee would slip out of joint,I eventualy wore bone to bone, third operation took pie slice out of leg bone but this just wore down the other side of knee  to were there was nothing left to cusion the knee,said I had the knee of a 85 year old woman,
I have a mass of new scar tissue from the knee replacement surgry. They also noticed a lot of muscle & tendon damage from spurs,so they put in some staples. Said I have very stong bones,
I had one infection spot along scar 1 year after surgury, had checked by family doctowho drained  area. Then ok for about 5 years. Had developed a limp (didn't notice til someone told me)and now some hip pain. Now knee builds fluid after standing or walkin, can not climb stairs hurts too much when pressure is on bad knee.I get extremly stiff starting at lower back after sitting, must slowly stand to be upright. I am 200lbs and 5'7", swim three times a week at gym for excercise with a wrap on knee to control movement. I put on my weight recently  because of a change in jobs, previously I had tried bicyling and walking but knee swells. Got used to the pain but it is always there. Recently had xrays and doctor said replacement knee looked ok, got shots in hip.
I think pain might be with tendons or muscles never repairing, what about a ultrasound or Arthrography? I feel I will be in a wheelchair before I am 60, and this is not a option, I see people with fake legs that can do more than I, what is a alternitive operation other that another replacement? Could scar tissue be a factor? I need to know what questions to ask my doctor, he is not forth coming with ideas. I would appreciate any suggestions, any web sites, publications or books so I can explore my options, Many Thanks
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Difficult to say without examination.  Obtaining further imaging of the knee can be considered to determine whether the knee replacement is sound can be considered.  This may need to be done in conjunction with an orthopedist.  

Otherwise, physical therapy referral, or a referral to a physiatrist (rehabilitation MD) can be considered.  Causes can indeed be tendonitis or bursitis that can be treated with more conservative therapy.  Scar tissue indeed can be considered if the other causes have been ruled out.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with an orthopedist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0 Comments
Blank
i dont know if this helps at all. im an assistant in an orthopedic office. been doin it for a while and we see a lot of OA, knee replacements etc., i would also do a hip xray to check for OA. if your pain radiates to the groin, likely could be OA of the hip.

all the best
Blank
I had double knee replacement three yrs ago at age 47.....the replacements were perfect until about 2 months ago when I started having symptoms simliar to yours IE a feeling of bursitis in both knees, but mainly in one knee....this flares up more when I stand in and move around in my studio.....biking, walking and other gentle excercise doesn't seem to bother it as much.....I did take ibuprofen for a week 3x's per day as doc ordered but it didn't do much....I have no idea how to get rid of bursitis once and for all....
Blank
A related discussion, pain before a complete knee replacement was started.
Blank
A related discussion, knee replacment was started.
Blank
795031_tn?1237423700
A related discussion, abnormalty of joints was started.
Blank
A related discussion, PAIN after a year.tkr.. was started.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
233488_tn?1310696703