Arthritis Community
my mom just started getting gout, have some questions

she is right around 70 and just started getting it, it started in her small toe 2 weeks ago and then again this week she has it in her right foot - the 2 toes before the small toe. i have read that cherry juice is good for it but am not sure how it should be administered. does she drink it daily to prevent flareups or does she start drinking it once symptoms arise? we could also use any other advice you may have. tia
I just love getting notes from concerned children.  There are a lot of lucky parents out there!  A low purine diet will help your mother's gout. You can google low purine diet or gout diet and will find many resources.  The gist is to limit intake of meat, seafood and fats.  An interesting site I found was goutpal.com.  It mentioned cherries and cherry juice.  The case it referenced had the patient eating 6 cherries per day.  With that info, it sounds like drinking the juice every day may be of benefit to her.  Please let us know if it helps and any tips you learn as you go along.  There are several folks her with gout and your post is the first to cause me to look at cherries.  If this helps her there will be many here that benefit from that knowledge.  
Hi again.  I was at a seminar today on one of my conditions and guess what - cherries came up as the rheummy who was speaking has done some work in studying their benefit will all forms of arthritis.  They are believed to have some NSAID-like properties.  OK, you had read this already, but I was fascinated to see a real live well known doc talking about it.
So, here is my plan.  I am going to start eating cherries or drinking juice and plan to start with 6 cherries or 1 glass of juice per day.  If I am not seeing a benefit I plan to increase the quantity I consume until I either see an improvement or I turn into a great big cherry :)  
Has your mother started drinking the juice yet?  Is she seeing an improvement?