swelling in fingers and toes
For the past year I have had increasing pain and swelling in toes, fingers and bottom of feet. I used to walk 3-5 miles daily and exercise 3-4 times a week. Since experiencing the pain and swelling I still do these things but much less.  The swelling in 2 toes of right foot is to such a degree that the toes will not bend much. Swelling in 2 toes of left foot has gone down some and is currently not painful. I have extreme swelling of pointer finger and thumb of left hand [for 3 months] to the degree that I cannot use that hand for much. I try to stretch fingers several times a day and during the night. The pain keeps me awake most of the night. For the past 3 weeks the knuckles of all fingers except the pinkies have become very stiff and painful. The pain is constant. 3 monthd ago, I was tested for diabetes and RA, came back negative. I am a 65 yr. old female who is still working [teacher].  What could be the problem? I'm not ready to retire.

mega999,

I tested negative for RA factor but positive for CCP antibody. This gave me a diagnosis of RA by a rhuematologist. I had the same symptoms you describe.
Thanks for your feedback. What is CCP antibody? Also, you said you "had" the same symptoms...does that mean you have gotten relief??

mega999,

I have not yet reached the point of relief yet. My Dr said it would take a while for the medicine to reach a level in my system for me to notice any changes.

CCP is another compliment to the RA factor, It is a test that is more specific to rule out RA than just a RA factor. There are other tests too such as an ANA and Sed rate. Not sure what it all means but the combination of all the tests would give a better diagnosis.
Thanks again for info. I am sorry you are still dealing with the pain, hopefully the meds will kick in soon!