A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

swelling in fingers and toes

For the past year I have had increasing pain and swelling in toes, fingers and bottom of feet. I used to walk 3-5 miles daily and exercise 3-4 times a week. Since experiencing the pain and swelling I still do these things but much less.  The swelling in 2 toes of right foot is to such a degree that the toes will not bend much. Swelling in 2 toes of left foot has gone down some and is currently not painful. I have extreme swelling of pointer finger and thumb of left hand [for 3 months] to the degree that I cannot use that hand for much. I try to stretch fingers several times a day and during the night. The pain keeps me awake most of the night. For the past 3 weeks the knuckles of all fingers except the pinkies have become very stiff and painful. The pain is constant. 3 monthd ago, I was tested for diabetes and RA, came back negative. I am a 65 yr. old female who is still working [teacher].  What could be the problem? I'm not ready to retire.

Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
mega999,

I tested negative for RA factor but positive for CCP antibody. This gave me a diagnosis of RA by a rhuematologist. I had the same symptoms you describe.
Blank
Thanks for your feedback. What is CCP antibody? Also, you said you "had" the same symptoms...does that mean you have gotten relief??

Blank
mega999,

I have not yet reached the point of relief yet. My Dr said it would take a while for the medicine to reach a level in my system for me to notice any changes.

CCP is another compliment to the RA factor, It is a test that is more specific to rule out RA than just a RA factor. There are other tests too such as an ANA and Sed rate. Not sure what it all means but the combination of all the tests would give a better diagnosis.
Blank
Thanks again for info. I am sorry you are still dealing with the pain, hopefully the meds will kick in soon!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Arthritis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...