Ask a Nurse Expert Forum
How do you get rid of walking pneumonia?

WELCOME TO THE ASK A NURSE FORUM: This forum is for questions and discussions pertaining to Bones, Blood, Brain, Colorectal, Diagnostic Tests, Digestive, Ears, Eyes, Glands, Heart, Infectious Diseases, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs, Men’s Health, Muscles, Nose, Skin, Stomach, Surgery, Vaccines, Women’s Health

I have had walking pneumonia for 3 weeks. I took two Z packs and I'm 5 days into my Doxycycline and I still feel bad. I have no energy and my throat still hurts. I can't take Avelox or anything in that family because I am allergic to them. How long does it normally take to start feeling better on Doxy?  Maybe I just haven't been taking it long enough?  When do you think I'll start to feel normal again?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Walking pneumonia can take a lot out of you (especially since it sounds like this pneumonia has been fairly resistant).  The pneumonia may resolve with the doxycycline, but it can still take you a few weeks to feel better.  I suggest that you take you medication as prescribed, get plenty of rest, drink lots of fluids and give yourself some time to heal.  When you finish your doxycycline, be sure to see your doctor again so that he/she can make sure that the pneumonia is gone.  Good luck.

Bridget
Hello. Thank you for your advice. 24 hours after finishing my 10 days of Doxy, my sore throat started to come back as well as that general crummy feeling that walking pneumonia gives you.  So, I went to the Dr. to see if the pneumonia was gone.  He said he could not test me because I would test positive for WP for the next 6 months.  He told me he thought I just had allergies (yeah right) but he gave me 7 more days of Doxy. I have been resting more than I have ever rested before.  My sore throat went away again but I'm afraid it will come back when I finish the doxy again.  I'm beginning to think I'm going to be like this forever :-(