Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Always feeling hungry and gassy

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Always feeling hungry and gassy

Hello, I'm a 19 year old and I always feel hungry and gassy. I am not overweight at all, in fact I'm in very good shape and regularly attend a gym to lift weights and work on my cardio. Whenever I wake up in the morning, I ALWAYS have a cramp/sore feeling in my stomach. Whenever I inhale or exhale deeply I feel a pain in my stomach. It wears away after a few hours and us gone around noon. Lately I have been feeling very hungry constantly and it seems no matter how much I eat I can't fill myself up. My stomach is almost always upset and it seems like there's a lot of gas. It doesn't ever hurt (other than in the early morning), but it just feels like it's empty, yet filled with gas. I guess to summarize, I just feel like my stomach needs to be 'cleaned out' because it seems like there's a lot of junk floating around in there.

I won't deny, my diet is not exactly a healthy one. I usually have waffles and syrup for breakfast, and rice/macaroni/spaghetti/french fries/chicken usually for dinner. Lunch varies widely.

Is there any way to sort out "clean out" my system to start fresh? I just feel like I'm carrying around a big chunk of rottenness inside of me all day. I've tried eating foods high in fibre like Bran Flakes, but it seems to make my bowel movements sore of diarrhea-like. If it matters, I usually go to the bathroom once every 2 days or so.

Thanks for any help I receive. I'd personally prefer a home remedy type of cure rather than a medicinal one.
Age
:  
19
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
150
Please make an appointment with your physician to discuss thesse symptoms. You may need to have some tests done or perhaps you can be referred to a dietician/nutritionist.
I have had similiar feelings in my stomach to the point that I don't want to move.  I find that the things that have helped me the best are: making sure i drink plenty of water, i try to walk a little after every meal (it helps the food not get stuck), making sure I chew my food enough (that's a big one, you'd be amazed if you concentrate on the consitancy of your food before you swallow how often you would have swallowed a huge chunk of something), and i drink a Yogi tea called stomach ease after meals.  I also eliminated everything that had soy in it and it has made a huge difference for me.