Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Bystolic and knee, joint and muscle pain

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

I was getting migraine headaches approx 12-15 times a month for a year and a half.  I started taking Bystolic and the headaches are reduced to 2-3 times a month.  I am fairly certain, however, that the Bystolic has caused joint and muscle pain especially in my knees.  Is anyone else taking Bystolic experiencing this same side effect?
Common side effects experienced by people taking Bystolic included headache, fatigue, dizziness, weakness and diarrhea. I have not seen any findings that others are experiencing this side effect. However if you are experiencing joint and muscle pain I would definitely urge you to contact the prescriber and discuss your symptoms. It may be more likely that the Crestor is causing the joint and muscle pain. However I am not a doctor and therefore cannot analyze your disease states or conditions remotely.
Best of luck to you.

Jennifer R RPh www.drugstore.com
I started Bystolic about 3 months ago and have been having increasing pain in the right side of my neck, my right shoulder, right shoulder blade area, and upper right arm. I am also getting weakness in my right arm and hand.  If I turn my head in given direction the pain goes right to my right shoulger blade area.  The doc gave me muscle relaxers but they did nothing.  I also had an MRI done but it also showed nothing.
It does lower my heart rate, but the price of also lowrering my quality of life is too much to sacrifice.  I have had too many slepless night with uncontollable pain and discomfort.
Has anyone else had these symptoms?  And if so, what, if anything, did you do to stop the pain?