Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Crush a pill?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Crush a pill?
I have trouble swallowing pills. Can I pound my two azithromycin pills up and put the bits in a juice to take them? Will pounding them up reduce their effectiveness? Thanks.
Azithromycin tablets may be crushed.  Just be sure to drink all of the juice in order to take the full dose of medication.  
I don't know about this particular medicine, but if you have trouble swallowing pills I have a suggestion  (I share your problem.) Whenever possible get a capsule form. Then you can just open the capsule and dump the contents in your mouth. If there is no capsule form, get a liquid, if one is available (Benadryl, for instance).
Great, thanks. Apparently, what I'm taking doesn't come in capsule form, but it sounds like if I can open a capsule and dump it in my mouth, there isn't a difference with crushing a pill...