Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Niacin for eyes

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Niacin for eyes

I have been placed on Niacor to raise my HDLs (both HDL and LDH are very low).  I had an eye injury to left eye and now can only see dim light, no images.  Since taking Niacor I have started seeing color (traffic lights for instance) and both eyes seem to have a greater sensitivity to light.  I have glaucoma which I have had under control for 15 years.  Could the Niacor have any impact on my vision?
Age
:  
77
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
165
It's unlikely that Niacor is improving your vision. In fact, Niacin is reported to cause blurred vision and macular edema (swelling around the retina) that impairs vision.
Thank you for your quick response to my question.  Since my damaged left eye globe was dislodged from the eye socket, could swelling around the retina in some way create a condition condusive to permitting more light in?
That's difficult to say, your question is best directed to your opthamologist.  Good luck!