Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Side effect of vitamin D therapy?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Side effect of vitamin D therapy?
I have suffered from severe fatigue and muscle weakness for quite a while (I am a healthy weight and went from previously feeling perfectly fine to feeling very weak and tired all the time.)
Recently it was discovered that my vitamin D levels are very low, so I was put on 50000 iu Vitamin D once weekly for eight weeks.  I began this treatment about two weeks after I got on the pill, Sprintec.  
I have now taken 4 doses of vitamin D and I do not feel any better but in fact am experiencing even more tiredness and muscle aches/weakness, as well as some new joint pain that I never had before, and every so often my lower leg bones feel sort of like they're aching.  

Since I started the birth control pill and the vitamin D around the same time, I'm not sure which, if either, could be the problem.  Can 50000 iu Vitamin D cause fatigue and weakness?  Or could it be that the birth control pill I'm on has too much progestin for me and is causing me to be severely tired and weak?
You don't how long you have been taking Adderall or why it was prescribed. Was it for fatigue?
oops, sorry - yes, the adderall was prescribed for fatigue and I've been taking it for 3 years.
I am sure you realize that Adderall is addictive. Have you looked for other means of coping with fatigue? Could there be a physical cause, such as an adrenal problem?
Most things have been ruled out as the cause of the fatigue.  I take 30 mg of Adderall and sometimes less and have absolutely no worries about becoming addicted.

My question had nothing to do with Adderall.  I am really hoping to get an answer from a pharmacist to my question about the vitamin D and Sprintec.
Hormones in birth control can make you feel tired or fatigued. Vitamin D won't. However, if you are prescribed adderall for fatigue, its likely that you are just getting tolerant to your adderall dose. Adderall is highly addictive, and definably does have to do with your question, because its already trying to TREAT your fatigue.