Asthma Community
Burning in throat and chest when I breathe and problems breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Hi. For about a few months I've felt like I haven't been taking normal deep breaths - they sort of feel shallow and fast and I have felt pretty tired- but I figured maybe it was just in my head. But far about a week now I've noticed that my upper chest and throat area burn when I breathe. I don't have a cold/running nose/major coughing so I'm not really sure what is going on. If I take a deep breath it makes me feel like I need to cough a little though. It feels like how it burns when you work out very hard or run along time - that's the closet discription I can come to. I'm afraid if I go to the doctor they will just blow me off since I am young - so should I wait or could this be serious?
Thanks.

I think you should go to the dr.  

You posted on the asthma page.  Do you have asthma?  

Your symptoms are similar to what I can experience when I have bronchitis.  That isn't serious for most people perse, but it does require propper treatment.  However, your symptoms could be any number of other things.  Acid reflux for example could aslo cause your symptoms.

A gerneral rule of thumb is if it has been going on longer than 2 weeks, it is time to see the dr.  Asthmatics can't follow that rule with any thing respiratory related, we have to get in much faster than that or we could be facing serious trouble.  

Feel better soon.
Thanks for your answer. No I don't have asthma - I didn't realize I was in the wrong section as I got here after a google search *blushes*. I will go to the doctor - Thanks!
Hey there.  Please let me know how you are doing.  I have had the exact same thing for months now.  I have been to the Dr. serveral times (and actually just posted to this forum), and am going back tomorrow.  Let me now what your Dr. comes back with.