Asthma Expert Forum
Chronic Cough for 15 years

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Chronic Cough for 15 years

I cough everytime I eat, sleep, breath any kind of fumes or change temperature. Lately, I have chest pain and now I have GERD too. I've been to Pulmonologist who says it's not a lung problem after several tests (PFT's and more). The allergist says there may be allergies but there is something else because the allergy meds don't help the cough that much. Upper GI shows a 5cm Hiatal Hernia. Could this have been the underlying cause of all these symptoms? Or is there something else I have not thought of, what else could cause a chronic cough like this? It's getting worse through the years, and nothing is helping!
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and postnasal drip are 2 of the most common causes of chronic cough.  Postnasal drip is usually due to chronic rhinitis, which is inflammation of the nose, and/or chronic sinusitis, which is inflammation of the sinuses.  The allergist can treat you for that, possibly with an inhaled nasal steroid.  Since you have GERD and a hiatal hernia, you should be treated for no less than 3 months with a proton pump inhibitor drug and conservative measures, such as:  
my boyfriend who I was living with for about 4 years had a chronic cough.. I asked how long he had it and he couldn't remember. anyway a friend of mine recommended me to her website rseabrook.com and told me the opc-3 antioxidant was good for coughing and asthma I'm not sure how its going to react for you but it did him great. he started to see improvements not only in his cough but  his ability to get up on time in the morning and his grumpiness! if I'm not mistaken all the medical backup is on the site next to the product!!
Is your cough 'just' a cough, or do you try to catch your breath between coughs. if so, could also be you have asthma. GERD...acid can be a trigger to cough, as can cold breeze or wind for me.
A related discussion, reflux was started.