Asthma Community
Constant cough since over a month

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Constant cough since over a month

I'm 28 and overweight. I've been coughing more than usual in the past 3-4 years, but since over a month, I have a lot of mucus or phlegm in my lungs, and wheezing that won't go away. In addition, I feel like I'm inhaling little feather particles that "land" at the back of my throat and in my lower nasal cavity area near my throat. I even sometimes feel like I can feel such particles "landing" in my mouth, but my lungs don't feel itchy, and my throat either. I sweat from time to time, not from the cough, but I think it could be caused by being overweight.

I am sometimes given a advair and/or ventolin, but it doesn't seem to help. I think that even if I would use it, it would not get rid of the overload of mucus.

When I was 8 years old, a doctor said I had minor asthma, but no doctor has ever confirmed this to me since.
My 6 year old daughter always coughs too, but the last person living in my apartment does not have a cough, so I don't know if it could be mold (the basement is humid).

Thanks.
I forgot to mention, we have a cat since over a year, and I have seasonal allergies and to dust.
Hi, you could try for starters to make your home allergen free as much as possible. By covering your mattress and pillows with allergen proof coverings. Also wash your sheets once per week in hot water, in order to kill the dust mites. If you have carpets vacuum them once to twice per week and get them steam cleaned every 6 months preferably or at the least every year. Have both you and your daughter been allergy tested? It would be a good idea, so it is easier to tackle the allergens. Many people have cat allergies too, so having a cat around may exacerbate any potential cat allergies.

If you are concerned about your asthma diagnosis or if you feel you still have untreated asthma symptoms then really you should get a spirometry test that uses methacholine. It's a substance that will induce a mild asthma attack in those who have asthma.

Personally I find that my lung mucous lessons with sufficient inhaled steroid treatment. Perhaps you need to stay on your maintenance inhaler for longer periods. I've noticed it can take up to a month to feel the benefits and a few more months to get complete control of symptoms. Perhaps you should see a pulmonary specialist, who can address your symptoms and give you the right treatment.