Asthma Community
Exhaled Nitric Oxide in the assesment of Asthma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

I was researching about asthma and recently I found that using Exhaled nitric oxide is an effective way to monitor asthma.  I have come across medical journals, which states that Measuring Nitric Oxide (NO) from the breath (during exhalation) has proven to be a useful tool for some asthma specialists in the U.S. and other parts of the world.

Any information on this?
Hello and WELCOME .. Thanks for that interesting info.  You can also try posting on the Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum where doctors from Nat'l Jewish may have add'l info and/or input on this info for you. But in the meantime, others will jump on in if they have some info too I'm sure!

C~
Hey thank you so much for your quick response and also for the information you gave. I will take your advice and start to post in Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
All I know is that you have a higher nitric oxide level in spots of inflammation so the test for measure if you have increased levels of inflammation in your lungs.
Hey, thanks for your quick response.
Hey Tammy,

I love to have pets. But I'm really scared to have pets at home because I heard that dog's and cat's dead skin flakes, urine, feces, saliva and hair can trigger asthma.

Is it true?
Yes it can if you have/develop an allergy to the dander (a protein that is in all of the above areas).  

I'm living proof of that, I developed an allergy to my cats 14 years after we got my first one and now 3 years later it turned in asthma for me.  

There is ways you can deal with pet allergies, best way is to figure out if you are allergic before you buy one, go and play with some dogs/cats in a pet store for at least 20-30 minutes and see if you start sneezing, get itchy or have trouble breathing.  Think if you have problems at someone's house that has pets.  

There are oppournities to foster animals through humane societies and rescue groups as well that way you can live with animals for awhile without having the 10-20 year commitment to one.  
I just learned that online you can BUY samples of cat fur from certain cat breeders.  For about $13.00 with shipping!!  These are for the hypoallergenic type of cat called ---> Siberian Cat  ... apparently it has to do with its DNA of some sort in the dander not producing a certain element that the other breeds create which most cat allergic people are triggered by.  Some even offer money back in two weeks if you are allergic once the pet is placed.  You can buy some type of insurance.  But after looking into the prices on this type of cat .. it isn't happening here.  We'll stick with my hypoallergenic ShihTzu dog which so far, for us, is fine .. then again there is cat allergy in my house -- not dog.

C~
Hey Tammy,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will go to some pet stores  and play for few minutes so that I can check if I'm allergic to pets. Also in my recent research I have heard that we have a new device to monitor asthma which is really excellent. The device name is Insight eNO system. I forgot the company name. That device is used to measure the airway inflammation and gives the results in few seconds and doctors give medication based on that. Any idea about this device?
Just remember some cats differ from others .. and even from one mixed breed to another, so maybe play with the cat/kitten you intend to actually add to your home :) to be certain.

C~
Hey thanks for the information. I will follow your advice. Can you help me with the details of the device (Insight eNO system) I have requested in my previous post. I have heard from my friends about the Insight eNO system and I am exicted to hear that it really works out well to monitor asthma. Can any of you help me with some information on that device. Or if anyone have been through  that device in physician's office, please let me know.