Asthma Community
Misdiagnosed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Misdiagnosed

For years I was treated for a disease I never had, that disease was Asthma.  It turns out that it was it's evil twin, something curable but with the same symptoms as Asthma, where the bronchial tubes get swelled up and the person has trouble breathing and the inhaler reduces the swelling and you can breath again until the next episode.  If the doctor thinks the trigger is exerciser you end up will a hand full of prescriptions for asthma medications and a misdiagnosis that has no cure.  If he knows anything about the evil twin, you will have to endure allergy shots for a year or two, but you will be cured.  No more expensive drugs or breathing difficulties for the rest of your life and of course you can go to the gym with no guilt.  The condition I'm talking about is Allergy Rhinitis.  Most people who have an allergy attack only have the sneezing and runny nose, itchy eye stuff...but Allergy Rhinitis sufferers suffer from an added symptom of bronchial tube inflammation caused by an allergic reaction to allergens in the air like dust, pollen, mildew, the list goes on.   Why didn't my doctors rule out this condition before diagnosing me as a patient with Asthma?   It's probably because it's less profitable for drug company's to have doctors treat me for life a long condition then to cure me forever with cheaper allergy shots. Luckily, I found the condition online and a PCP who specialized in both Asthma and Allergy Rhinitis to get treated and cured.
HI,

Glad you found the right help you need for your condition.  I've heard also of RAD or Reactive Airway Disease which is prompted by allergens.  Keep us posted!

C~
Dear allnaturalgirl, I'm glad that you figured out your diagnosis. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for you to go through all that. Take care! -Sara
I too feel that doctors rush through their diagnosis. I don't know if there's a test for Asthma, but I was tested for pulmonary edema. Since I didn't have that, the doctor decided I had Asthma. I keep researching the internet looking for symptoms like mine, but I don't find any matches. That makes me worry that I might not have Asthma. I'm on this website looking for someone who might have my symptoms. I can't believe doctors have so much experience that they can just look across the desk and diagnose a person. I'm glad you figured your problem out.