Asthma Community
Pulmicort .25mg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Pulmicort .25mg

My 16 month old son had two episodes of severe asthma within a month period. Both were treated with albuterol and an oral steriod. The second attack caused him to be hospitalized during treatment because he was not responding well to 3 doses of albuterol via nebulizer and had low oxygen sat. (88%). Both of the epsiodes occured during a cold/virus. My Dr. is reccomending a once daily pulmicort treatment for prevention purposes. I am a little hesitant to be giving him this at such a young age and only a short time of displaying these symtoms (symptoms). Do you think we should observe him a few more months before starting this medication?

Thank you,
Hello. When my daughter turned 3 she was struck with an asthma attach which led to ER treatment and albuterol and prednislone. The doctor diagnosed her with asthma, we immediately got her allergy tested and found that she is severely allergic to cats and dogs. We got rid of the cat and have been through some really rough times with her asthma. During a cold was when it was worst. here I am 1 year later and my daughter takes pulmicort 1 time a day and 2 times a day when sick. She is exellent- cant even tell she has asthma. Pulmicort is 100 times safer than prednislone and albuterol.
Oh and PS_ we also did the "observing" thing and it made my life a living hell. She was always chronically ill.

My two cents:  
The child has had two severe attacks in the last month associated with illness.  Cold and flu season is just starting.  The chances of him contracting another cold or even the flu are high.  Without the pulmicort his chances of being hospitalized by such an event are even higher.  

While pulmicort is a corticosteroid, it is inhaled and very little of the medicine gets into his system.  If he doesn't take the pulmicort he will be taking oral steroids again (no guarentee that he won't need them with pulmicort but the likelihood is reduced).  Repeated or extendd steroid use is very destructive.

The lesser of the evils you have to chose from is by far the pulmicort daily.

Take care of that little one.
But these medication will make your child liable to infection, what they do is suppress the inflammatory process as a whole....meaning if your child has any other infection away from the pulmonary system the small infection may kill your child because his immune system is suppressed and stopped by this prevention medication

Is there a better alternative i ask.....has your child been vaccinated does he have an allergy towards anything in particular, there must be a better solution then to suppress your small child's immune system
My child has done great on Pulmicort! Asthma is very serious and can get out of control fast. When your child turns 5 they may get allergy shots as treatment. Im not going to do that because there is risk involved. Read the risks of prolonged use of Albuterol and prednislone. They are devastating. Keep in mind, this may not be forever. Your child may grow out of this.