Asthma Community
Severe allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Severe allergies

I have food allergies, outdoor allergies, asthma and for the last 10 years have suffered from chronic sinusitis. These sinus infections occur two to three times a year.  The worst part of all of this is the constant mucus which seems never ending. It has greatly affected my ability to sing which is my passion. When it goes into an infection I get the same symptoms that one would if you had the flu.  Hot cold severe headache nausea it can be painful just to hold my head upright. The postnasal drip clogs my nose so I use nasal washes for that. The Post nasal drip goes into my lungs. During the initial days I do a lot of coughing and I work on loosening the phlegm because it feels asthough it is plastered to my lungs. Then finally when it loosens up I can cough it up and even though I hate to gross you out the color of the phlegm is green. This tells me I have an infection. I prefered using natural remedies such as olive leaf, oregano oil capsules, grapeseed and several others because I felt that the use of antibiotics would worsen the situation. I then take probiotics to replace the friendly bacteria in the intestines. You see I am not sure if my problem comes from yeast overgrowth which would be fungal or from food allergies. However I suspect both.
I have become so desperate that I am presently taking clarithmycin to try and get rid of this once and for all.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Please don’t take medications without consulting a doctor. The best way to get to the bottom of your sinus issues is to see an ENT. A good examination inside the nose with a camera might give the ENT more information as well as a CT scan of the sinuses.  If it is a chronic sinus infection, 4-6 weeks of antibiotics are pretty standard in addition to nasal steroid sprays, oral steroids, and salt water irrigations of the sinuses.  If this fails to solve the problem, sinus surgery is usually recommended. So, please consult an ENT specialist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
hey man i had serious allergies and went on the antibiotics. i tell you they make your feel horrible and definitely not good for the immune system. ive been sent a link of a breathing method for my adhd and they say it does wonders for allergies also, ive spoken to a practitioner and im going to start the method soon http://learnbuteyko.co.uk/buteyko-for-asthma-allergies-and-other-breathing-problems/