Asthma Community
Too old to be diagnosed with asthma ? :(
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Too old to be diagnosed with asthma ? :(

Hello there, I'm a 32 year old female currently suffering with a strange wheezing/whistling sound and slight problems breathing.

I was recently a smoker (about 4-5 a day) not overweight, I go to the gym 4 times a week and eat healthily. Since early December (maybe even earlier) I noticed I was having trouble catching my breath during cardio exercise and getting air into my lungs but I managed to control it and was ok when I was doing less physical exercises.

I went to my docs last week as it was getting really worrying especially after I woke up at 3.30am wheezing unable to get my breath. I have been prescribed Amoxicillin anti-biotics but they have done nothing for my breathing and a blue inhaler which does help with my wheezing attacks.

I have since been prescribed a 5 day course of steriods but am worried about what this problem is and when I get back to the gym and resume my normal workouts ?

thanks in advance  :)
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
757137_tn?1347200053
You are never too old to develop asthma. I would worry more about the steroids than the workout. They wreak havoc on your immune system, lead to osteoporosis, adrenal problems, etc. For mild asthma usually you begin with an albuterol rescue inhaler, To make the jump to steroids seems excessive.

For your own peace of mind, and to better understand your condition, you might want to get an inexpensive peak flow meter. This is something you blow into and it tells you how far off normal your breathing is, if it is off normal at all, that is. Most asthmatics have this simple device. The one I use is made by Assess.
Blank
746512_tn?1388811180
COPD is another similar condition that is more related to smoking and the damaging it causes.  I would agree with the respiratory tests are this would show how your lungs work and whether it is asthma, infection (not a definitive test for this tho) or something else.  

Let us know how it goes!
Blank
4690747_tn?1358076197
Thank you for the advice everyone :) I'm going to finish off the course of antibiotics (which end tomorrow) and only have two days of steriods left. I thought it was if you were put on steriods for longer like weeks or months then they had more of an effect...

I just can't stop worrying and thinking the worst..  :(
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Asthma Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank