Asthma Community
itchies, asthma, vertigo and dogs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

itchies, asthma, vertigo and dogs

Never had the itchies before but its about ready to drive me crazy.

I have two dogs but had previously asthma-tested negative for dog allergies. But I'm now thinking that having asthma I already have a respiratory sensitivity and thereby am being negatively impacted by the great amount of air pollutants in the house due to the dogs. I'm thinking that the air pollutants are creating a respiratory irritant on my lungs and respiratory system thereby provoking a negative inner ear reaction due to a history of inner ear problems including vertigo and vestibular issues. The itchyness due to lung irritation too? Maybe I don't need to be specifically allergic to dogs but only be exposed to air pollutants to get asthma, the itchies and vertigo? Anyone else with similar ailments whom owned pets before? I need to be clear on this possibility before I start giving my dogs away...thanks in advance!
Even if you test negative for a dog allergy, you could still be sensitive to the hair or dander so be dilligent in cleaning, with a HEPA vacuum if possible or get a HEPA filter to help with the air quality in your home.

With your vertigo and vestibular issues, you'll know more about them than I since you've had a history.  Itchiness and rashes tend to be common in asthmatics because we're basically sensitive to pretty much any and everything, allergy test confirmed or not.

I'm not technically allergic to dogs, but long-haired dogs in particular flair up my asthma; it has never been so bad for me that I've avoided having them, however.  The HEPA vacuum and filters in general helps me a lot so I can keep my furry friends.
Thanks for your input. My concern at this point lies with whether irreversible symptoms from my asthma could become an issue the longer I remain with two dogs and endure lung/chest congestion from the pollutants. For several years I have experienced very slight lung congestion perhaps due to a very small scar (~2.5 mm) on my lung. After a total of 3 MRI's every 6 month period it was determined that it wasn't a tumor but indeed a scar, perhaps from childhood asthma ( I was sick often and coughed very hard). Anyway...late in 2008 when the weather turned very cold the lung congestion got worse and it is now evident that the second dog could had exacerbated my situation.  I did a major house cleaning yesterday and some of the other symptoms lessened and assume (hope?) that the congestion will also lessen but in terms of long term exposure my concern remains...any input  would be appreciated!