Autoimmune Disorders Community
ANA test was 1:320...

ANA test was 1:320...

I have a question and I'm open to hearing all thoughts on this:

When I was diagnosed in October with Hashimoto's, one of the blood tests ordered was the ANA test. it came out positive at 1:320 titer. Also my thyroid antibody tests came out positive as well so she figured the ANA positive was due to the thyroid as well. I've been in to see her a few times to adjust my medicine and i've been very very patient given how badly i feel, but I set an appointment to see her a few weeks ago because it just didn't feel like everything was from the thyroid. I was not only having every symptom of hashimoto's but also neck pain, constant headache and an overall feeling of being hung over every single day even without drinking a drop of alcohol.

This time along with ordering an MRI just to rule out pituitary issues, she ordered ANOTHER ANA test (which I have not gone in for yet)..... my question is why???? If It came out positive last time wont it still come out positive? If it is the thyroid, the antibodies would still be attacking the thyroid even though I'm taking the hormone supplements right? She said we need to determine if i have anther auto-immune disease in conjunction with this one.... but.... i don't understand how repeating a test that was very positive before could tell us this? Maybe since it's been 9 months since the last test she forgot I took it????

Please let me know if you have any ideas...

Anyone else here with hashi that had a high ANA???? or would that have been indicative of something else from the beginning?
I also had a positive ANA and was believed to all be due to my hypothyroidism.  I have since learned I have MCTD.  Maybe your doc wants to just check everything again to know exactly where the blood work stands.  As much as I HATE to hear mixed connective tissue disease, at least I know (sort of) what I am dealing with.  Keep us posted.  
Did they do two separate tests? I do not understand why my doc wants a second ANA test. I don't think that my ANA would go down from taking my thyroid medicine.... so I'm very confused by the request for the second test.......? hmm.