Autoimmune Disorders Community
Immunologist

Immunologist

Has anyone seen an Immunologist and if so, what do they do?

CindyLou
This confused me at first too because I when I was dx'd with Lupus I thought I should go to an Immunologist but then I found out that my allergist is an immunologist and they were not what I thought.  She explained to me that she handles allergies and studies of the immune response to allergens.

What is your diagnosis if you don't mind me asking?  What type doctors have you been seeing?

Joni

Most Immunologists are Allergist/Immunologist that you see when you get your allergy shots. In my opinion.... these people weren't helpful to me at all. However, I saw a physician who was an Immunologist and who worked with a famous physician and he was extremely helpful. He knew all about autoimmune diseases, CFS, the causes and the treatments.

Hi...My immunologist is a rheumatologist/immunologist at the CC and he specializes in specific areas of autoimmune disorders, which is why I was referred to him.  He has been a godsend to me and has been very careful to look at EVERYTHING before beginning treatment.  

Do you have an appointment with an immunologist or are you thinking of a direction you need to go.

Best wishes to you!

Wanna
My diagnosis is CFIDS.  That was diagnosed by a specialist.  I have seen a hematologist, rhuematologist--this is my second one.

CindyLou
I don't have an appointment with an Immunologist.  I was just wondering at first how helpful they would be with the immune system since my ANA is always positive and has gone from 160 to 320 and now 640.  My white count is 2.1.  Usually it's around 2.5 or 3.  My rash I thought maybe they can determine if it's a rosacea or is more a malar rash.  My Rheumy said it's more malar than rosacea.  But since there's no definite answers then I thought an Immunologist would deal with this stuff?

Am I heading toward the correct doctor or wouldn't they be correct for my symptoms?

CindyLou
It has been my experience that finding a correct diagnosis really depends on the doctor's ability to look at all the little pieces in order to put the puzzle together.  My local rhuematologist was unable to do that and fortunately he referred me to the CC rhuematologist/immunologist.

Your ANA seems to be "saying" something.  And a low WBC count might mean something as well, and in combination with other factors, but there are so many things that need to be looked at, factored in and eliminated.  And it usually takes a period of time to do this.  

Can you tolerate the sun on your skin and/or does the rash appear after sun exposure?

And have your vitamin-D levels been checked?  It is common to have low vit-D accompany autoimmune disorders.    

Hope this has been a little helpful.

Wanna

We have the same ANA titer and since we have CFS, we are open to other autoimmune conditions. A decreased white cell count could be due to an overwhelming infection, sepsis, viral infection, HIV, immunosuppression, anemias and bone marrow suppression.

If you haven't had your vitamin D level checked, I would. It is not only common for people with autoimmune conditions to have a low vitamin D level, but very common in fibro & CFS patients as well.

Best,

PlateletGal
PlateletGal is right on the money about the WBC count, but it might not be any of the above as well.  I have a low WBC and RBC...and there have been countless test run to r/o causes.  It was time consuming, but I understand why it had to be done so that I would get the proper treatment for the correct cause.

The CC doctor explained what the medical community understands about autoimmune  disorders is quite little compared to what they do not know.  

Best of health to you,
Wanna