Just trying to get some info
For a few weeks been having some VERY annoying issues going on.  Constant pain in legs (bones and muscular), arm pain, back pain, and EXTREME fatigue.  I went to see my GP and had some tests run.  NCS/EMG showed bilaterial carpul tunnel (arms and hands going to sleep).  Blood work was all normal except: ANTI-STREPTOLYSIN O SCRREN WAS 168.  ANTI-NUCLEAR ANTIBODY SCREEN WAS POSITIVE.  ANTI-NUCLEAR ANIBODY TITER WAS 1:640.

Can anyone shed any light on these results?  I am being referred to a Rhumotologist but curiious as to what all this might mean.

Thansk
anti nuclear antibody (ANA) inicates a possible autoimmune disorder.

Normally these antibodies are not detected, but when they are in your lab work, they will wash the serum until they don't see the antibody anymore. So each time they wash it they double he value.  So it starts w/ 1:40, then 1:80, then 1:160, then 1:320, etc.  So yours (1:640) had been washed 5Xs before they couldn't see the antibody.  (I think I'm telling this right....5 or 6Xs.)  640 is considered a significant #.  

There should have been a pattern too.  Check your lab for a pattern.

ANTI-STREPTOLYSIN O SCRREN
I was not famiar w/ this, so I looked it up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3138189

Not sure what this means.  I'll try to read it tomorrow when my mind is clearer.  

Kara
I need to have a repeat ANA done.  Do I need to stay out of the sun before I have this done?  I hear that sunlight can affect the results.  Anyone else heard of this?
Absolutely, sun expossure will affect the ANA results.  It will cause the ANA to be elevated.  My suggestion is to STAY OUT of the sun until right before your appointment w/ your dr. or the ANA repeat. THEN SPEND ABOUT 10 OR 15 MIN. IN THE SUN JUST PRIOR TO YOUR DR. APPT.  If you have lupus, it will help w/ the diagnosis process.  Some have gone as long as 15 years w/o a diagnosis.  Which is too long to suffer through these horrible symptoms.  

Did you find out your ANA pattern yet.  Be sure and get copies of everything and keep them in a file.  
It was nuclear (spelled correctly).  I still dont understand the other results.  I actually felt better for a couple of weeks but the symptoms are now back with a VENGENCE.  Thanks for helping me out.
This is common in autoimmune diseases.  The symptoms wax and wane (or come and go).  
Getting REALLY confused.
I had another ANA done and it was normal.  Still having a few symptoms but not as bad.  But also have new symtpoms.  I have gotten 6 cold sores in the last 20 days.