Autoimmune Disorders Community
Nuclear antibody

Nuclear antibody

Can anyone tell me what an Nuclear Antibody is? My Dr says it's an autoimmune thing,
but rattles off words I have heard before, and I have no way of understanding what he's talking about.
Some of my bloods were sent to America, where they must have special laboratories for testing for N A
Cilycoed
The test is an ANA, anti-nuclear anitbody test.  It tests for antibodies that are unusual in that they are found in people whose immune system MAY be predisposed to cause inflammation against it's own healthy tissue.  The test by itself is not a determination of illness but can be an indicator combined with other tests and symptoms.  Interesting that your blood got sent to America.  Did any tests get done locally?  Do you know the results or want to share your symptoms?  The whole diagnosis process can be really scary.  I tested positive for an ailment I dreaded and then it turns out that I do not have it, just a positive lab for it.  Hang in there and write back when you can.
txsilver did a good job of explaining what ANA is.  I will say that I am in Texas and I know that sometimes certain bloodwork of mine is sent to California.  Do you know what state your bloodwork was sent to?  Maybe there is a lab there with a speciality.  The presence of ANA in your system could mean you have an autoimmune disease or it could mean nothing so don't worry.  Let your doctor get back to you with the results and then if you don't mind I would be interested in knowing what they tell you.  My ANA is 1:1280.  The norm is somewhere around 1:40 or so.  Mine is high and I do have an autoimmune that they are calling a connective tissue disease because I don't yet have all the markers but I do have the symptoms of Lupus.  I also have symptoms of Sjogrens which is another autoimmune disease.  Sometimes you can have multiple.  You can also have a positive ANA and no symptoms and be perfectly healthy.  Do you mind sharing your symptoms?  God Bless and good luck.
Joni

Thanks for both your messages. My computer has had a virus attention, plus new monitor etc, hence the time lapse following your messages. Txsilver, I guess there have been tests done here, I see my neurologist, Aug 14, and my haemo a week later, I will ask them for copies of the correspondence they have sent to my GP. I have three here, they are earlier ones. But how can I get them to you both? They might be to large to copy on here. Am I allowed to give you my email?

Thanks and blessings from a cold New Zealand.
Phyllis