Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
Chronic pain on the right side of the back of the head, near the neck

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

For about 3 months now, I`ve have a nagging pain at the base of my head near my neck on the right side. I have no ides what it is, but it got so bad that I had to go to the chiropractor. He told me that I had a `blockage` in the joints near my neck was was causing this. After the initial visits, the pain actually went away. For a week or so. I decided not to go back, because money was tight.

But it came back, and since then, it's been on and off for the past nearly two months. Today, it was horrible. It comes and goes, for about 5-10 minute periods, and it's not only incredibly aggrivating, but it drives me insane.

The only salvation I get from the pain is when I'm laying down flat. That's why I think it might have something to do with my spine or my back.

If anyone can relate to this, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks.
If you have severed recurrent pain I would recommend that you get an MRI of that region : Cervical spine and Skull Base.
I just saw a lady with similar symptoms who has a  large cyst causing pressure in the base of the skull. She did well after surgery.
It is better of find the root of the problem and deal with it then to only treat the symptoms like pain only.

Dr Prem Pillay
www.spine-neuro.org
Hi Tiff!

I'd definitely have a check up at a Dr. office, for some x-rays and MRI to make sure it isnt a spine injury. I had pain like that for a long time and talked about it with my doctor, she had MRI done on my neck and I happen to have herniated disc ( C6-C7) and arthrosis (C4-C5) . Knowing that, I can focus more on ways to treat it...

I know you said money is tight, but I d recommend Osteopathy...I am seeing an osteopath and it does miracles....it doesnt cure the thing but help manage pain and gives back some fluidity to my movements...sure I have to go back once in a while, but I prefere that to tons of pain-killers and pills!
Hi!  You mentioned that you go to an osteopath for treatment of your neck. What does and osteopath do that is different from other treatments such as physical therapist, etc.?  Thanks!!
Thank you very much for your comments. I'm seriously thinking about getting an MRI done now. I really appreciate this, thank you both!
TifferzC you had stated that the chiropractic adjustments relieved your pain symptoms? And after you discontinued care the pain returned?  If that is the case, have you considered returning to chiropractic care?  Im not sure where this blog is originating from, however in the United States the MRI cost would average $1600-2000!  Your health (in my opinion) does not have a price tag, unfortunately in the US health care system non-emergency procedures do, and they are high!  You said you were tight on money.  If imaging is affordable where you are located I would recommend x-ray first (should run $100) and pursue conservative treatment. Though I do not disagree with the doctor's recommendations, I consider the MRI expense to be excessive at this point without further information about you.

also for us to further help you include your vitals
age, weight, etc

Thank you
Chiropractic adjustments obviously helped you and I suggest you continue you care. You probably have a atlas-occipital fixation in that area that need precise adjustments.