Back & Neck Community
Anybody know what this means MRI showsSclerosis of the margins L4-5 an...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Anybody know what this means MRI showsSclerosis of the margins L4-5 and L5-S1?

On my MRI results of the Lumbar spine one of the things it says is that is shows Sclerosis of the margins from L4-5 L5-S1. Does anybody know what that means?  I Looked up the word Sclerosis and it means thickening of tissue. Is that due to Arthritis?

Scoliosis is a curving of the spine:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/scoliosis.html

http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/scoliosis/scochild.htm
is scoliosis curable? i too have scoliosis and a crushed disc and have been having alot of back pain. Whats the best way nto ease the pain without alot of pain meds?
scoliosis is generally not curable.... if it is mild it is left alone, if it is severe it is corrected though a spinal fusion. if it is idiopathic and you catch it at a young age before the major growth spurts, major curavature can be avoided using a back brace.

if you are experiencing back pain you should see an orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation...

I had a major spinal fusion for my scoliosis and no longer experience any back pain at all. I had idiopathic scoliosis in my upper back and though i still have a curve it is fused together and pain free!
I think she was referring to Sclerosis not scoliosis.. Sclerosis literally means hardening. Application to the spine, lack of flexibility. Hope this helps.. Good Luck!