MRI results-help interpret
I had a sitting MRI of lumbar spine & am confused. I took films to orthopaedic surgeon & physiatrist. They say films look good. No major problems. But I've had chronic back pain for a couple years. The report sounds bad to me. I've had idiopathic scoliosis since childhood (21 degrees) which I've been told is mild & shouldn't be causing problems since I'm now 32 & hasn't progressed. My report says:There is straightening of the expected lumbar lordosis suggesting musculoligamentous strain. A left convex scoliosis is noted. There is preservation of disk height throughout all lumbar levels. at L3/L4 ther is some mild disk bulging toward the left side of disk. L4/5 this level demonstrates a broad disk bulge, L5/S1 a focal central disk bulge occurs at this level. No spinal stenosis. No disc protrusions.  Any opinions would be great.
your report sounds very mild, practically benign. It does mention muscololigamentous strain, which means what it says, muscles and ligements are strained.
your pain, although you did not specify this, is probably due to muscle imabalance and posture. go to a website by Jolie Bookspan and read read read. If the problem is in the muscles, you can fix it, and ONLY you can fix it. dont rely on things like injections, pills, surgeries etc. You may want to buy one of her books on fixingback pain without drugs or surgery. you should also get a book on posture by d' Arezzo and a trigger point manula by clair davies. Dedicate yourself to correcting your working, walking,driving, and even sleeping posture. dedicate at least twice a day for an hour a atime to exercises and streches on these websites and in the book on posture, and you will get better.
Thank you for your response
Your Mri report sounds alot like mine.  I have been miserable since 2005, with back buttock pain, leg pain.  I finally got mri done,  Lumbar showed staightend lumbar lordosis suggest musculoligamentous injury or sprain, Mild disc bulges t-11 thru L-5-s1. Foraminal narrowing bilaterally.   Thor Mri showed degenerative changes and dextroscoliosis 23 degrees,
My ortho doctor says this all boils down to Degenrative disc disease, and OA-arthritis.  After 2 yrs of PT, pain pills, I went to A PT who said look why are you going to PT, with all your problems it is not going to help, why is your doctor sending you?  They say I need Steroid injections. But not sure what to do.  You do have problems, DDD is painful.
I'm a little confused by your post. Are you asking me if I have DDD or OA-osteoarthritis? My MRI & exam showed no signs of degeneration or arthritis, no stenosis or narrowing of foramen. My disc heights were preserved at all levels. Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were talking about your MRI or mine.
I guess I assumed you had DDD, as you have some straightening of the expected lumbar lordosis and bulging discs. which is caused by degeneration of discs.
  I had my Mri done in Jan 2006, my Gp told me everything was fine, except a lot of bulging discs. It only got worse fast.   I went to difference Gp , he said you have DDD and Arthritis that is what is causing the pain.  Reommended steroid shots but I have not done yet.  
The straightening of the lordosis & bulges can have different causes. Some say it's a normal part of aging, muscles strain can cause the ligaments to tighten therefore causing the straightening of lordosis, bulges are often from scoliosis-since the vertebrae aren't straight in the curve it pushes the soft disc material to one side or another which some radiologists read as "bulging".