Back & Neck Community
Pain in shoulder, neck, scapula and arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain in shoulder, neck, scapula and arm

I desperately need help. I am in physcial therapy right now due to a car accident which was insult to injury because I'm already suffering with pain and have been for a few years. Very often the tip of my clavicle is sensitive and if you press it I will feel it through my back to the muscle under my scapula. My shoulder close to my neck is in a massive knot every morning and even when relaxed during a good moment it is not semetrical with my other shoulder. Sometimes the end of my shoulder has a sharp pain and travels all the way down my arm. Dressing my self is a challenge and shaving my right under arm because this is all on my right side is a problem. I don't have the range of motion like I do in the other arm. When I'm fatigued just coming home from work. My shoulder is so tight that when I lay down its painful. I feel as though my arm wants to fall off and I have to prop it or swing it over my chest. Something gets pulled when I lay on my back. Its the strangest thing and lifting myself out of bed sometimes is unbearable because I have to strain my chest if I"m on my back and I have to put pressure on my chest if I"m on my stomach because I have to use my arms to lift myself up. I can't win. I know this sounds like torture but if I get a hard object and stick it under my scapula..you know the part of I guess its the latisimus dorsi right around the bottom corner of the shoulder blade bordering the spine..well that helps...and I have been pressing that muscle up against the knob on my armoire and I can feel it through my back to my clavicle bone but it helps me. I'm desperate so I just do whatever bizarre method I can imagine to get me through the night. This has been an increasing problem over the last few years and then I get in a wreck. Everyday I'm in pain..every day. Could it be a severly torn muscle that I did not allow to heal? HELP!
Tags: Pain, Neck, Chest
I feel for you. I have experienced severe arm pain so I know what you are talking about. Could not get myslf up from a lying position or shave either arm pit. I went to the ER twice the first
doc said it was my shoulder. I went a few days later because I could not even get dressed without screaming. The second doc said it was nerve pain and asked if I hurt my neck. I explained that I had several bulging and or herniated discs in my neck. he took an Xray of the whole shoulder area and found nothing wrong which he thought would be the case. I had to either hang my arm limp  which still hurt or have it across my chest. The best thing they gave me was a sling. It kept my arm close to my body and I did not move it. It still hurt but it made it bearable, Sometimes it felt like it was not even attached. I wore my soft collar at the same time and keeping my neck stable helped. It lasted a few weeks and I took some muscle relaxers here and there. I do not like taking these but it did help. He prescribed me valium to help me sleep and these also help your muscles relax. I am not a big fan of motrin or advil but I took them faithfully around the clock for at least a week. I hardly slept because of the pain and trying to find a comfortable position. I tried to get everything ready before I laid down because once I was down I hard such a hard time trying to move after that. It finally eased up and then went away but I do not have the same strnght in that arm. I have had problems with that arm before the severe pain set in. I have lost muscle in that arm and it does get a numb feeling it in certain ways I use it. I wish I could be some help to you. If you have a sling try using it if not try using a scarf or towel to see if that helps. I really hope you find out what is wrong. I truly know the pain. I am always on guard now hoping that pain does not come back. It is horrible.
Take care of yourself and keep me posted on your progress. Are you still doing therapy and if so what do they say about it? I would go to the doctor and see if there is anything he can give you to help with the pain so you can function better.
Chadry
Thanks so much. Yes I'm giong to therapy but they are kind of cheap and big on machines so I don't know if that is the answer. Regular massages help more I think. I just woke up and I have the knot. My daughter says the knot on my shoulder looks deformed. I'm concerned. It seems like everyone on this board has been unsuccesful in treating their pain. I am supposed to see an MD and also get x-rays and an MRI. Something else...I"m large breasted because I've gained weight and I used to be a 34-C..not anymore and I have to adjust them so they are not pushing in to my chest and hurting my back when I lay on my stomach particularly when I'm on that hard chiropractic table. They put me on that thing but its hard and narrow and I'm tense and awkward the whole time. I appreciate your repsonse and I hope your pain stays away as well.
I have suffered with the same symptoms all of you are describing.  The knots in my shoulder were as big as golf balls and the pain radiated down to my hand.  I underwent all the tests you are mentioning, MRIs, nerve conduction tests, x-rays and found nothing.  No one could tell me where the knots were coming from until I was finally diagnosed with fibromalgia.  The only relieve I can get from the pain and the knots are injections.  I go to a specialist who gives me trigger point injections.  I have to be put to sleep because it is very painful.  We have trigger points in our neck, shoulders, middle  & lower back.  Usually you have a round of three injections. These do help.  I have to stay on a mild muscle relaxer.

I hope this helps
I couldn't have described my pain any better than these last two articles I just read. Thank you, I am not crazy. I see a Orthopedic surgeon May 15,not soon enough, I will try to post what I find out. In the mean time I wear what is called a compression shirt from Wal-Mart for around $20,VERY HELPFULL, the material helps you move your muscles so you are not doing it alone. This is not a permanent  fix but is safe and gives some relief.