Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Acid Reflux - Stress

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Acid Reflux - Stress

I had my surgery over 2 years ago - it has been an overall prositive thing for me. I am dealing with the whole reflux thing now - reading a lot of past blogs I am finding this to be a more common side effect than they report.
I do feel like stress just make this a bit worse - and of course the type of foods.
It has been miserable - the lack of sleep it causes brings on even more stress. So it can become a bit of a vicious cycle.
Of course I am worried more about permanent damage - does anyone know of what repercussions can result if you keep just "dealing"? and not getting the band adjusted? I am so afraid of regaining weight - so am avoiding getting the band opened up. I am in a good place of maintenance - so it is already not really tight.
I am having the same problem as cinditaylor.  Had surgery almost 2 years ago.  Haven't had a problem with heartburn or reflux.  Last month I started taking Ranitidine twice a day due to reflux and heartburn.  Worked fine.  This month I have acid reflus so bad and the Ranitidine is not working.  After I eat I feel fine not full  then after about an hour some of my food starts to come up. Then comes the burping acid. no medicine is helping have heartburn and reflux almost all day.

anyone have some advice
Sounds like the stomach contents are not moving down the bowel fast enough, not just too much acid. Try a med that helps the tummy empty like reglan.