Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Could it be Bulimia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Could it be Bulimia?

I have been having a problem with eating too much for my band and having to regurgitate in order to breathe comfortably again.  While I am still eating less than I did pre-Lap-Band, it is still too much for my pouch. I have just been curious to see if it qualifies as bulimia or some other eating disorder.  It often seems like I just don't have much control when I eat and can't stop myself.  I have been an emotional eater my entire life, this hasn't changed.  I just don't totally know what I should do.  I am tired...
I was kind of thinking the same as you, i go through times when I cant feel comfortable unless I get sick . I dont eat very much when this happens sometimes maybe 1 or 2 bites. I just feel very sick.This may be yucky but it also happens on my own sliva ( sorry about the spelling) For some reason I think my stomach gets swollen at times , Sorry if i am no help but it is nice to know we are not going through this alone. Hang in there, I dont think you have bulimia.

Everytime you vomit you are causing your stomach to get swollen and having more problems keeping food down.  Eating too much food and vomitting is not a good thing to be doing because the band swells and the swelling if it happens many times causes pain and makes eating a problem.  The band when your stomach hits the band each time you vomit be it food, drink, saliva, etc.

I think you need to talk to your surgeon and have a bit of the fluid removed so then you can eat as much as you are and not have the paid/problems from the vomitting.  You need to make sure you are not causing another illness - bullimia so perhaps you might need to talk to the psychologist if you saw one before the surgery.

HI,
    I had the same exact problem. I got to the point where I'd trow up EVERYTHING I ate. It started off slowly, only once or twice when I'f over eat, eat too fast, or drank right after a bite. Then, how Teddybear09 explained, the mouth of my stomach (where the band is placed) started to swell. It got to the point where I could barely pass water. I had to make the choice of wether I wanted to eat or drink. and I'd only do ether one, two or three times (on a good day) It got pretty bad. I'd feel extremely full with one sip of water but my stomach was always growling because it was literally starving. I'd get pretty bad headaches and I was always really sleepy and lazy.
Anyone who reads this is probably gonna judge and call me stupid or  sick for not noticing the obvious. my band was WAY too tight. The thing is, I kept telling my self that I could pull threw it. I brain washed myself into thinking that it was just like when I first got the surgery, that if I had ONLY liquids for 3 weeks, my band would loosen because the swelling would go down and my stomach would shrink. I'm not even sure if that would work. All this sneaking around my family and friends after every meal in order to go vomit was starting to get to me. My mood started to change drastically. I was getting depressed and judging myself pretty harshly. Until this one day when out of nowhere, I confessed everything I was going threw to my boyfriend. He immediately drove me to the Dr.s office to get my band loosened. I got 3cc's taken out.... A LOT. right after, I started feeling anxious every time I ate. Guilty if you will. I'm still working threw it. As this all happened about 3 weeks ago. I'm still afraid to eat, every time I swallow solid food, I'm expecting for it to hurt, or to have to go throw it up. I gained 5 lbs since I got the adjustment. The Dr. told me this would happen. But told me not to worry. That this weight gain was actually something my body desperately needs in order to get back on track. I was dehydrated and starved for almost a whole two months. Not to mention frustrated because I wouldn't see the numbers on the scale go down. I neglected to realize that my body was holding on to all that extra fat and water for dear life!.

I got the surgery in 2008 thinking it was a miracle worker. Little did I know, it was going to be such an emotional journey. I was warned by the psychologist before the surgery. But like many people out there, I thought I was gonna be the exception. My journey has been worth it. I've learned that the lap band was a crutch to get me to the healthy weight I am now. But it depends on me to maintain it. Without a doubt. The ONLY way to lose the weight, lap band or no lap band, is to make the life changing choice of loving your body and only wanting to put the best of the best in it.

Sorry for the "life story" I don't get to talk to anyone who truly understands all the lap band talk. Every one is usually quick to judge because they simply don't understand how difficult it is.

You band is too tight. I had the same problems as you for about a year. I did go to the doctor and emptied eventually, but it was too late, the slippage already started. This could happen to you in fact it might be already happening, you need to tell your consultant. My band slipped completely. I could not eat for days first and then could not drink.  The motion you make when you are sick makes the band slip. I had to have it removed after the slippage and could not have another one for a year and a half after, which made me gain most of the weight back. If you are continuosly sick you are better off geting an unfill rather than cause slippage. You might gain some weight back but it would be less than removing the band completely. Also if you catch the slippage early getting the band completely unfilled fixes it and you can be back on track quickly. Can't stress enough how important it is to see the consultant and be honest. The quicker you catch any problems the easier they are to fix.
You're not bulimic.  Trust me, I know because I AM a former bulimic.  You are doing this because the lap-band doesn't change what's wrong in your head that causes you to overeat; it only prevents you from overeating anymore,  You're eating yourself sick because that is what a food addict does.  They eat and eat and eat until they are sick.  I had a band and my inability to do the right thing caused it to slip.  I had to have it removed and have put ALL my weight back on.  As a bulimic, this has been hard to deal with.  I have had to get my mind right before considering surgery again.  I am finally recovered from my eating disorder and have NO desire to go back to it.  I wasn't ready to have WLS the first time I did it.  This time, I am because not only have I been able to control my eating this time (on my own) but I have the support that someone who has had WLS really needs to be a success.  My suggestion is that you find a support group and stop eating yourself sick.   You can fix your mind but you have to do the work in order to make it work.  Good luck, you can do it.

Misti Taylor
Many People facing issue with weight gain problem. Finding an effective weight loss plan that truly works for you can be a tall order. Crash diets do not work. Capsiplex Plus is a most effective fat burner which is control your appetite level.