Bipolar Disorder Community
Insurance & manic depression

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Insurance & manic depression

I was diagnosed as having bipolar disorder about 6 or 7 years ago. I now take Trileptal to treat it, and it has definitely improved my life. It was never something anyone, but my family or close friends were even able to detect. I have never been hospitalized as a result of the bipolar nor has it ever affected my physical health in any way. However, I am unable to acquire any health insurance because of the diagnosis. It has always been an awful stress not to have coverage, but until recently I haven't had much to take if I couldn't pay medical bills. I am having a child very soon, and I just purchased a business. I want to be able to build a life for myself and my family, but it is a constant fear that if I incur any large hospital bills they will be able to take everything I work for. Right now I am covered by Medicaid. It is frustrating because I am able to pay for insurance, but can't get it, and I know Medicaid is only a temporary solution. I desperately want to have health and life insurance and feel as though I have no options. Any suggestions?
was  you on disability..for the reason of having medicaid??  im on disability and have medicare and medicaid backup..is it hard to get  help  on what ur on??    
I sell individual health insurance in AZ and some plans will cover you with a waiting period for certain pre-existing conditions. See an agent in your area and apply for the best plan that meets your needs. Blue Cross is usually prety good about covering pre-ex with a rider.
Good Luck
It's temporary maternity medicaid...