Blood Disorders Community
Exercise Diet vs meds
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Exercise Diet vs meds

Hello there I just got back from my doctor and I'm studying these blood tests that were taken for me.. My cholesterol total was 9.21  MMOL/L .  My triglycerides were 3.17 HDL-cholesterol 1.32 and LDL-cholesterol 6.45.

My question is this I want to start a pretty extensive diet and exercise program but I don't want to take the medication my doctor says I should definitely take the medication how bad are these results? Can I do it on a great diet and exercise programs.The reason why don't want to try medications cause I'm concerned about side effects and getting hooked on them.

Thanks

Mario
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
While your HDL cholesterol is within normal limit, the LDL is in very high bracket as any level above 4.90 mmol/L is taken as very high. This cannot be brought down to normal level without medication. Similarly triglyceride levels within 2.3-5.6 mmol/L are considered high so yours are within the high level. Any cholesterol level above 6.22 mmol/L is considered very high risk, and your levels fall in that category.
Your doctor is right about your need to start medications immediately. However, yes, what you want to do is equally important. You can start all three together—diet, exercise, and medication. You can keep reviewing your blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels and once they come down to normal levels, your doctor may start reducing the medication.
These drugs are not addictive so there is no chance of your getting hooked to them. Many people have been able to taper down the doses of these medications or completely stop them after they go over a complete change in lifestyle towards healthy living. However, as of now it is really important to take these medications. Take care!
Blank
Based on a few opinions including the advice I got on this site I got started on TEVA-ROSUVASTATIN 20MG TABLET.  1 per day was the prescribed amount.  I was tempted to cut the tablets in half but instead went with the doctor's recommendation.  Hopefully the side effects won't be too bad.

Thanks doctornee.  Your advice reinforces my decision.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blood Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...