High ferritin level was unhealthy
My father had haemochromatosis. His ferritin level was always very high, and his red cell count was always very low. The doctor said that prolonged high iron levels had permanently damaged his bone marrow's ability to make red cells. Our drinking water is extremely high in iron, producing red stains on all the plumbing fixtures. How can we take out the iron without using salt? I understand that using the salt method replaces the iron with sodium.
Hi!
You can reduce iron in drinking water by installing iron filters or water purifiers with reverse osmosis system. You get water testers whereby you can test the iron and metal load in the water. Please ask your doctor or plumber in your area regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank-you Dr. Mather. We did not understand the importance of tracking ferritin levels, and thought that the more iron, the better. In fact, my Father's doctor tested for iron rather than ferritin when my Dad told him that his brother had died from haemochromatosis. So his high iron went un-diagnosed for another fifteen years. Then we read about 'The Bronze Killer' in Reader's Digest, and found out that there is a high incidence of haemochromatosis in caucasians because of a genetic deficiency. The effects of long-term high iron was no fun for us. Thanks again, Doctor. We will upgrade our water system with reverse osmosis, and stay off the iron supplements. And have regular ferritin tests.