Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Brain Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Brain Cyst

I have had Lupus for overt 10 years and it has been mild. But about 1 1/2 months ago I started having trouble thinking, memory loss, very forgetful, cant get to info in my head I know is there. And just being so absent minded that I can't even drive. I feel like I'm not all there. My Doctor said he thinks my lupus is attacking my brain and I need a CT.
So to day I got my results beck from my CT scan and he said I have a 2cm cyst on the base of my brain, and that they can't tell me any more than that till I have an MRI. Now, I'm just not even sure what to think.
Whats the base, like the stem? and the size, is that big? Also I had an MRI in 08 and all was good, no cyst. Is that big to have come in that amount of time? Dose that mean it's growing fast?What kind of cyst is it? what is the chance it's cancer? Sorry I'm just a little freaked out
A cyst is not cancer and will not become cancer. There are different types of cysts - and often they are in the lining of the brain... you should get a copy of the CT and it will give you more information. I would freak out too with so little information and your doctor is rather silly to leave you with so little information.
As for size, it all depends on location. Just saying at the base is not very specific as you are right, it could be near the brain stem or it could be back by the back of the head. 2cm is like a small walnut. It is less than an inch (which is 2.5cm). An MRI is better on soft tissue and can tell them more about exactly what type of cyst it is but it has already showed up as a fluid filled something.
After the MRI - roughly 24 hours, you should be able to ask the place to send you a copy of the MRI on CD and a copy of the report. When you are there, ask about how to get a copy and when you can and who to contact so you can get your records. I would also go to the place where you had the CT and get a copy of that report as well.
I cannot comment on growth rate - some of these types you are born with and some develop later so you have to know what type it is. Please do keep us posted and I hope this information helped.
Thank you for your help. I asked her if she could tell if it was a tumor or just fluid, she said she could not tell that she could not see inside it with the CT. She said that there is a spot, but not sure what it is, so she just called it a cyst. She said she can tell me what it is and whats in it when I get the MRI.
Usually one calls it a *lesion* in that case - that is an unidentified type of thingy... I would get a copy of the report from the imaging place or the doc - the radiologist would have put in the report something about the nature and as well more about the exact location of the lesion. The CT is not great with soft tissue so yeah... it may be a bit fuzzy about what it is exactly (but usually they have some idea) so the MRI will be much clearer on the type of lesion.

After you get the MRI - let me know what you find out. Do ask when you get it about getting your own copies of things as your doc is does not appear to be forthcoming with exact info - and that is what you need.
OK, I now have a bit more info. Got my MRI results. It says I have a

"2cm arachnoid cyst laying extraaxially extending into the choroidal fissure region and effacing the adjacent hippocampal region of the temporal lobe".

It also says. " there is splaying of the adjacent brain tissue in the hippocampus and localized cortical thinning as well".

I'm on a high priority waiting list for the neurologist.
My symptoms have increased to very strong pain on/off. I'm having a really hard time maintaining mental stability.  I have Flairs of mild psychotic behavior. If comes and go's. But always have memory loss, can't focus and hardly anything. My husband said he would consider me not mentally stable. I'm on Vicodin for the pain.

So what do my results mean? What dose the thinning/effacing part mean?

How likely will surgery be? And if they don't wanted to do surgery what will they do?
I am only a layman - but it appears that your walnut-sized cyst is pushing so hard that it has effaced aka pushed a part out of shape the region next to it. So I would think that is why that one area is looking thinner.

It may be, but again, I am not sure, called *mass effect* when one thing pushes on another - so hopefully they will consider this enough to remove your cyst. My only advice from reading up on this is not to just have a surgeon drain the cyst as they can just re-fill, but to make sure they remove some or all or the pouch so it cannot re-fill.

Do keep us posted. Tell your husband to hang in there!
I'm now having such severe psychiatric symptoms that I was admitted to a short term menta facility about 2 weeks. The Medical Doctor and the Psychiatrist said they think my symptoms are from the cyct. I'm on a high dose of an anti-psychotic to keep me under raps. I'm seeing my neurologist for the first time, so pray it dose well. I still can't really take care of myself ot my children so my sister is here for a few weeks. I'm really wanting them to take it out ASAP. Any advice to get this surgery on the fast track?
The trip to the hospital should get the treatment on the fast track. Since you have two doctors that think you have symptoms as a result of the cyst, the other doctor should not have a problem. He should refer you on to a neuro-surgeon. Do not be afraid to get a couple of opinions from surgeons if you are not happy with the first (and it is good to have other opinions anyway).

When you talk to the surgeon - make sure they are going to remove the cyst - not just drain it.