Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Brain Tumor caused vision loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Brain Tumor caused vision loss

My father is 60 years old, he has a brain tumor causes a loss of vision in his left eye, he just can very hardly see the shadows of the objects when he gets them very close to his eye. The doctors said that he has a brain tumor as it appeared after the examining by the MRI. I don't know  whether this tumor is in the brain itself or on the optic nerve.

My Question are:
- If this tumor on the optic nerve, is it can be seen by the MRI? and is it can be considered as a brain tumor?
- What that kind of a brain tumor that causes to him such blindness?
- What is the way of treatment to remove that tumor? surgery, radiation or chemotherapy?
- If surgery is the way of treatment, how will it be done, through the eye or in the brain itself?
- If the surgery in the brain, from which side the open will be, front, back or other?
- How succsseful is that operation?
- If the tumor on the optic nerve, the surgery must be done in the brain also or it can be done through the eye?

Thanks for you patience, and please I need early accurate answers for that questions ( even some of them) as I am so worry about my father, thanks again.

Best Regards,
hunny417
Hi I am sorry to hear about your father-

Unfortunately I am just a patient who had a pituitary tumor so I don't know much about other types of brain tumors. If that is the type of tumor that he has it may be operable to a point. But they will leave the optic nerve alone. It is called a debulking surgery. Somtimes these can be done through the nose (transpenoidally) and then follwed up with gamma knife or other radiation. Success is going to be due to the skills of the surgeon and to the state of your father's tumor and where it is.

On my profile page in my journal notes there are some links to videos about the surgeries. Keep in mind that they are graphic and show it all.

If it is not in that area then the surgery would be done via a craniotomy.

That being said without more information it is impossible to comment much more that this as it is all what if's. You might ask your dad if you can go with him to his next doctor appt and ask these questions to the doctor who is treating him.

Does this help some?
Horselip
Your dad is just at the beginning of the process - and all those are very good questions.

His tumor could be one of several tumors - pituitary included.
It all depends on the nature of the tumor as to what is the best type of surgery - in the case of pituitary, some are treated with medication, some surgical - so you need to know what kind it is - so tests have to be run. Either blood tests or a biopsy will have to be done.

They may be able to go in via his nose, or a small incision otherwise - endoscopic surgery is pretty common now and as long as you have a skilled, experienced surgeon - incision may not exist or be small.

When you get more information from the doctor - records, copy of the MRI report, blood tests etc. and know more - then you can ask the doctor more - but the nature of the tumor will dictate treatment.