Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Baseline Mammogram?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Baseline Mammogram?

I am 38 and had a baseline mammogram done last year.  My obgyn told me that I would not need to have another mammogram done until after I turned 40 as long as the results were normal.  They were.  However, when I went back to have an annual done this year, he told me that the lab said that I should do a repeat baseline this year.  The lab report did not state why I needed to have a new one done.  Dr. has given me a form to have a Bilateral Mammogram done.  Is this the same as a baseline? And do you have any idea why I should have to do this again, since I did have normal results last year?  My insurance only covers one baseline from age 35-39.  We have no history of breast cancer and I don't smoke or have any other risk factors that I am aware of.  I would rather not do the mammogram again unless it is absolutely neccessary.  Thank you for your input.
Dear my3reasonsy,  A "baseline" mammogram referrs to a mammogram that is the first or the one that they will compare your future mammograms to.  Bilateral mammogram just means a mammogram of both breasts.  You may want to check again with your doctor to clarify the reason for this repeat mammogram, they may need to check with the lab for clarification.  
Bilateral merely means both breasts. If you have two .... a screening mammogram is always done on both breasts. I would certainly get an answer as to why another baseline (one done for comparison to studies done in the future) is recommended. If there is no real medical reason I wouldn't do it at this time. Your own physician should know best what is required since the first mammogram was OK.