Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Brest Cancer 91 year old women

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Brest Cancer 91 year old women

My Nana is 91 years old from Italy and hates doctors. She never went to doctors until my Grandma forced her to go.In May of 2005 my Nana found a lump on her right breast and so my Grandma took her to the doctor. The doctor said that it is breast cancer but and decided to leave it alone because she is 91 years old. The lump began sinking in and spreading. In November of 2005 the doctor said the cancer spread to her lympnoids. Now it is January and my Grandma noticed that there is now a sore on my Nana's breast. I know you can not tell me exactly how much longer my Nana has to live but I was wondering if you can tell me from this point of there being a small sore what will happen next and maybe an estimated time she has left due to how fast everything has progressed. I appreciate any insight at all I just want to know what to expect! Thanks so much for taking the time!!!
Dear Cyn1234:  Given the situation you have described, the likely scenario is that the sore will become larger, perhaps causing pain and likely emitting an unpleasant odor.  Of course, this is only a guess and the disease could spread to other organs as well.  It would be a good idea to get your Nana into a doctor to see if there is anything that could be done - perhaps not to cure her but to address her quality of life. Even in elderly patients, there may be a variety of treatment options which may be of benefit.
My grandmother passed away from untreated breast cancer. She was on oxygen at all times, had several blockages to her heart and was an insulin dependent diabetic.  There was no way to do surgery on her.  She died o f complications of a parasitic bowel infection because her body could not fight anything off.  I have seen breast cancer go untreated at my work place too and often pain meds are prescribed to keep them comfortable. My best wishes to you and your family.
My mother is 91 years old.  We have taken her to her doctor regularly, at least once a year, based on his recommendation.  She stopped having regular mammograms based on her age at least 10-15 years ago.

Her doctor discovered a lump in her left breast, and we took her for a mammogram, which turned into an ultrasound, and then a needle bioposy, all in the same day 2 days ago.

The doctor has the bioposy, but won't tell the results until an office visit, scheduled tomorrow.  I changed the bandgage on her needle autopy and felt the lump.

What can I expect?
It is confirmed my 91 year old mother has a lump, which is cancer.  What do you recommend>
We have talked to a surgeon.  It seems that my mother, 91 years old, has breast cancer.  It is ducitle cancer, a slow growth, we think at most 1-2 years growth.  She is going to have her breast removed instead of of removing the lump and radation therapy, which would take 6 weeks, 5 days a week.

The surgeon is optomistic, based on the fact that my mother's tumor is well formed, and can be identified as a tumor from the breast.  Apparentely, it is better if you develop breast cancer at an age over 80 years old.  Your estrogen levels are lower, the cancer is slow growing, and you are more likely to die from other causes, i.e. stroke, heart & respiratory failure, natural causes.

By the way every health professional who has examined MOM, says they think she is in excellence health otherwise.
A related discussion, Breast Cancer for 80 year old woman was started.