Dense tissue in one breast only
I just had a mammogram, and the hospital has asked me to come in for extra images on my left breast, because they have found an area of dense breast tissue that they are not sure about.  This is my second mammogram, and my baseline mammogram from 7 years ago apparently does not have this tissue. Can only one breast be normally dense, or is this a sign of abnormality?  I am 42 years old, my paternal grandmother had breast cancer and lost her left breast at about 35 years old.  I am basically very healthy and work out a lot, eat well most of the time and don't drink too much or smoke.
Hi there.

It is very hard to tell at this point if what was found on your one breast is a true abnormality or just a natural occurrence.  The technique of mammogram can also influence the appearance of these densities especially if different technicians perform the procedure.

I would suggest that you stay calm and go ahead with the additional views of the breast to have a more definitive diagnosis.  After the additional views, I suggest you ask your doctor/radiologist about the BIRADS classification of your mammogram which is a standardized reporting scheme to know if there is anything to worry about (more about birads here: http://biradsclass.blogspot.com).

Regards.
As we age our breasts do tend to become more dense. It isn't unusual to be called back for additional views and this may be something as simple as some tissue that had folded over on itself creating a shadow. Yearly mammograms are recommended after age 40. Regards .....