Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Difference between cyst and cancer.....

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Difference between cyst and cancer.....

I just saw the x-ray of my mammogram.  The woman who did the mammogram told me it "looked" like it would be a cyst.  I am wondering what the difference in appearance is between a cyst and a cancer.  How can one tell if this is a cyst, by looking at it.

Thank you,
Trouble 72
Dear Trouble 72, There is not an absolute way of differentiating a cyst from cancer on a mammogram, however, there are certain findings that may be more suspicious one way or another.  For example, a well defined area may be more likely a cyst.  They may decide to do an ultrasound which is used to help differentiate between a fluid-filled structure (cyst) and solid area.
a cyst is a fluid filled area, and they are typically very round with smooth borders. Cancer has irregular borders which are fuzzy, sort of star-shaped, because it tends to grow outward in all directions. So a very round shadow nearly always is non-cancerous; you can't tell if it's a cyst for sure on a mammogram, because you can't tell if it's liquid. The other common very round shadow in a breast is a harmless tumor called a fibroadenoma. The way to tell for sure, if it can't be felt to poke a needle in it to look for fluid, is with an ultrasound.