Breast Cancer Expert Forum
How long will the pain to touch last post excisional biopsy?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I had 3 areas biopsied through an incision on the upper part of my nipple 2 weeks ago.

I experienced quite a bit of pain over the past 2 weeks, but it is now down to an area in the 3:00 position which is sensitive to touch and movement.  The area tested was behind my nipple and above it and there was one other area I am not sure of the local since I did not get to see the dr. on my post op visit.  They did not have any surgical notes in my chart for the resident dr. to discuss with me so I don't know if this may ben the other area of surgical removal.

Can you tell me how long to expect some pain after this surgery.  I am leaving for a 2 week vacation tomorrow and am hoping it will just continue to subside.

Dear PAT CHAP, The pain experienced after biopsy varies from one individual to another, in general you should be seeing some improvement in a couple of weeks to a month.  Although if there was more manipulation during the procedure, or accompanying bruising the discomfort may last longer.  You should be seeing that the discomfort is lessening.
I too, have been having pain since my bx on Feb 20. Post op pain subsided after a week and then a new pain, near the bx site started, painful to the touch, etc. about 2-3 weeks ago. I'm going to see my doc next week. Suggest you call your dr and let them know.

Good luck!
Let me know what you find out.  I am leaving for vacation and will be gone 2 weeks.  My dr. is out of town for a meeting.  He is ALWAYS in the road.  He is chief of surgery at the medical school nearby.
it's hard to predict how long pain will last: if it's due to nerve irritation, for example, it can take several weeks or months, but ought to slowing improve along that timeline. The main thing is being sure there's no sign of infection, which usually would mean redness of the surrounding skin, and fever.
Thank you for the response.  I will continue to monitor it for a while longer.  I do not see any signs of redness in the area, just one little spot at the end of the incision, but not very much.  I have not been running fever so I guess that is the good sign.

Pat