Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Invasive Ductal Cancer Stage 3 of 3

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Invasive Ductal Cancer Stage 3 of 3

My question is I have been told I have this from a biospy done on Janusry 5th of 2007.  The surgery is to be done on the 22nd of this Month.
All my Dr. office would say it is the above mentioned.  3 of 3, have no idea what that is or what it means?
He is going to remove the whole breast.  Test the lympe node also.  The size of the cancer is 1.4cm..
Iam 61 years old.  No one in my family either side has had breast cancer.
Also said I would have a drain in place too.
Would apperciate any information anyone could Please give me on this matter.  Iam sure I have left something out.  Thank you..
Dear Express Fran:  Cancer stage is based upon a variety of factors, including tumor size, lymph node involvement and any other disease.  Stage cannot generally be determined from a biopsy alone.  Your doctor may have been referring to the grade of the tumor. Grade is a score that describes how aggressive the cells appear under the microscope.  It is one piece of information (along with many others) that helps doctors to determine treatment recommendations.  The surgery and and lymph node procedure will help the doctors to determine what additional investigation is necessary and what treatments will be recommended.
Hi .... I to was in my 60s when diagnosed with BC and there was NO family history. My tumor was larger than yours and I opted for a mastectomy. I suppose this type of surgery effects everyone differently but I luckily had no problem with it. I had two drains after surgery which were a bit of a bother but they didn't stay in long. I believe one was removed at 7 days post-op and the other about 10 days post-op. This depends on the amount of drainage. I personally had no pain after surgery .... soreness of course but no real pain. I was given a video from the Amer. Cancer Assoc. of exercises to do involving the arm on the operative side to achieve a normal range of motion (mostly stretching type exercises). As far as any treatment after surgery; this will depend on the pathology reports on the tissues removed. I was fortunate that I had no lymph node involvement and required no further treatment. Each case is different as is each person ... I wish you all the best in your journey through this disease. Keep a positive attitude and ask all the questions you can think of .... stay informed and remember that YOU are in charge.
Thank you for your comments.   Hopefully I to, will have no lymph nodes that need to be removed.  Thank you for answering so quickly.  Have a wonderful week-end.
Hiya again .... Japdip here .... I may have not been clear enough about the lymph node part ...... the nodes will be removed in order to be tested. My surgeon believed that removal of 10-12 nodes was sufficient .... other surgeons may differ in the number of nodes they remove. Anyway .... once again; the best of luck to you.
Just read your comments....Just thought I would let you know that I had BC with NO family history and no other risk factors other than being a woman.  I will be 52 on Friday.  I had my biopsy done on Oct. 6th (my husband's 59th birthday) and then on Thurs. November 2nd had my mastectomy done with immediate reconstruction with the tram flap.  I have done really great.  I was in ICU overnight after my surgery (Thurs) then went to the floor and came home on Monday afternoon(November 6th).  I went back to work on Jan.8th(when school started back after Christmas break). It was a scary experience for me, but my faith in the Lord and knowing He is in control comforted me and got me thru it.  I really had supportive family and friends.  The plastic surgeon did an excellent job.  He was young and new in our area.  I was his first patient of this type of surgery since coming into the area.  I was very impressed.  My new breast is basically the same size as my other.  Just a slight difference.  Are you having reconstruction done?  Thank the Lord, my lymph nodes did not have to be taken.  My DCIS was just in  the milk duct and had not invaded outside that.  I was blessed in that respect.  I know what you are feeling though and it is really hard to face.  I will be praying for you.
Let me hear from you.  Just take care of yourself.  This is a valley so many have had to walk through, some deeper than others.
Express Fran how are you doing?

snoopy55 it is so good to hear from you. Sounds like you are doing great. I remember your details. You and I went through this about the same time. Where was your surgeon located?