Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Knee pain

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Knee pain

How can you tell if an ache is something more.  I have been cancer free for 5 years and my right knee has started to ache for the last three days.  It feels like a tooth ache, seems to get a bit better but starts aching again.  What does bone mets feel like and can you get it in your knee?
Dear pattsy:  There are many, many possible explanations for knee pain.  Without evaluation, it is impossible to speculate on what might be causing your knee to ache.  Our recommendation is to see your primary care doctor who can evaluate this pain and the possible explanations and then determine what additional evaluations may be necessary.
Try the orthopedic forum
I'm not in the medical field but I have been breast cancer free for three years and recently found a bump on my shin bone which was also painful - it was quite upsetting.  After three opinions that nothing was going on, I finally insisted on a full body bone scan and can put up with the diagnosis of "arthritis".  I was also told that bone mets from breast cancer very rarely, if at all, will start in the extremities - more than likely would start at rib cage or clavicles.  Bone scans are not fun to go through but peace of mind is worthwhile.