Large Bruise on Right Breast
I woke up last Sunday and noticed a large bruise on my right breast just above my aerola (sp). It is about 3 inches wide and 2 inches high and was the dark yellow/green color you get as a bruise is healing. It also has some purple lines near the top and it was not sore. I would think if I hit it, I would most certainly remember that and/or have pain for the size of the bruise.  I do realize a bruise can be just that, a bruise, but a week prior I had felt a small bump just above my aerola but it was during my cycle, and my gyno has said during your cycle you could feel some bumps.  They do get extremely sore and full a couple of days before my cycle. Since it is not getting better, I made an appt just now for Tuesday with my gyno. It is a little tender now but that could be from me being obsessed with it trying to find a bump. My question is, is bruising a sign of potential breast cancer?
Hi there.

Bruising is more commonly from trauma, even minor unnoticeable ones. Hormonal changes throughout the menstrual cycle can also cause almost spontaneous hematomas or bruises.  However, it is important indeed to rule out any underlying breast problems such as tumors or cancer.

I would suggest that you have screening tests such as a mammogram, and see if there are any underlying problems.  The chance of this bruise relating to cancer is really small, but it is better to rule this out through screening tests.

Regards.
A related discussion, breast lump was started.