Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lump Around Nipple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Lump Around Nipple

Hey everyone,

This morning as I was showering, I noticed tenderness and what felt like a sort of lump around my right nipple.  Later on, during some spare time at work, I looked around on the web for some info about what it might be, and managed to work myself into a low level panic over it.  After calming down, I have decided to wait until early next week, see how it is, then make a doctor's appointment if it hasn't gone away.

Any thoughts on what it might be or if waiting until next week is an all right thing to do?

Dear Shive75:  Because the lump is tender - and most breast cancer is not painful - it is quite possible that this is a cyst or some other non-cancerous problem.  Waiting a week may be a reasonable thing to do as long as it doesn't get larger.  If you are worried, you may want to schedule an appointment anyway - if only for peace of mind.  If you decide to wait a week and this doesn't go away, you should see a doctor to have it evaluated.
there's no point in an online guess, really: without feeling it, knowing your age and hormone status, etc it's only a wild guess at best. However, it's safe for any newly appearing lump to wait a week or two to see if it goes away, especially in a woman who is premenopausal. It's ok to see if it goes away after finishing a period. But ANY persisting lump needs evaluation.