Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lump in armpit for almost 7 years.- Scared to death!!

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I have a lump in the right armpit which is quite big from the age of 18.Infact the right armpit looks overall fleshier than left. If I press it it does pain and at times there is discomforting pain in my arm and back. I was scared to go for a check up.I ignored it. Now I am newly married and 25 years and still haveit.It does pain if I press it.Now that I have access to internet I read/hear abour lymphoma and am very very disturbed and immediatly get noticebly pale. I did not have real major fever or symptoms all these years except for chicken pox last month. Now please tell me do I have cancer. I am also shy to show it to my doc as my underarms are quite dark. Please help me. my doc checked the breasts for lumps and found nothing but I was shy to show her my armpits.
Dear varaabcd:  When doctors check your breasts, they should also feel under your arm, at least a little bit.  Having said that, if a lump has been there 7 years and not grown or caused other symptoms, it is doubtful that it is cancer.  However, the only way to know what this is - is to have it evaluated.  Don't be shy about showing your doctor.  He/she is there to help.
I have a hard lump in my under arm area too.My underarm area has been sore and kind of like a itchy sore feeling. As I was feeling it yesterday, I felt a hard small lump right where the breast ends on the left side but higher along side of the armpit..not in the armpit but along side it.It feels like this pea hard lump is just directly underneath the skin and it's itchy sore.
I am pmsing and going to start my period some time this coming week and my breasts get sore and lumpy with my period and after my period they go away. I have had a mammogram last year and an ultra sound and the technician told me i have very cysty breasts.
When I was younger I used to have to get lumps checked out right on my armpit area where the hair grows as I would get itchy sore lumps there, the doctor i was seeing at the time told me it was a swollen sweat gland and it would go away..which it always did.
I phoned my doctor's office yesterday and explained everything to his assistants and she said it could very well be from hormonal changes because of my period. Should i wait til after my period is finished and get it checked out...I am scared. I try not to press on it every 5 minutes as the more i press on it the more it hurts and itches.
Any info will be greatly appreciated
Hello, I found a lump right in the middle of my armpit last week.  I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.  It's the size of a dime and it does hurt when I press on it.  How long should I wait until I see a doctor?