Lymph Node with Reactive Hyperplasia-Help?
I had a large Core needle biopsy done 2 weeks prior to surgery to my breast surgery for DCIS with a focus of less than 1mm of microinvasion, & a sentinel node was taken out for examination.
What does the information below mean.

My pathology report stated: Sentinel Node #1, Excisional Biopsy:
Touch Preparation Smear: No Malignant Cells Seen.
H&E Sections: One Lymph Node with Reactive Hyperplasia: No evidence of Metastiatic Carcinoma.
Cytokeratin Immunostain: No Evidence of Metastatic Carcinoma.

What is Reactive Hyperplasia? What causes it? Is this common?

Hi there.

Reactive hyperplasia is a response of the lymph node to foreign antigens especially during infection or in cases of microinvasive disease from a DCIS.  The good news is that there are no malignant cells seen in the lymph node.  This is no cause for alarm but I still suggest that you have regular follow ups with your doctors or surgeon.  I would also suggest to discuss with your doctors regarding additional radiation therapy for your DCIS.  Check your breasts regularly from now on.  Regards and God bless.
Thank you for your prompt response to my question regarding Reactive Hyperplasia in the lymph node. I don't understand what the following statment means in your response "in cases of microinvasive disease from DCIS".  Should I be concerned with this even though there was no cancer detected in the node? Yes, I will be doing radiation (not chemo) and will have regular follow up visits with my doctors.  Thank You for your advice and if you can please clarify your response.