Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lymph Nodes

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Lymph Nodes

Can you have lymph nodes in you armpit that you feel and not have any noticable changes in your breast?
Dear pattsy:  Lymph nodes are located throughout our bodys, some are closer to the surface and can sometimes be felt, particularly if a person is thin.  This is common in the neck, armpits, or groin.  Another time that lymph nodes can be felt is if there has been an infection.  For example if a pierced ear has been infected, the lymph nodes in the neck can become a little swollen and tender.  It can take a week or more for them to return to normal.  So, yes, it is possible that you could be feeling lymph nodes in your armpit.  There may be nothing going on in your breast.  However, if they get bigger or do not go away, you should have them checked out by your physician.
I am 38 years old.  Last spring (one year ago), I noticed my left underarm lymph node had swollen up big like a walnut.  It wasn't sore.  I saw my doctor and he ordered a mammogram.  It was negative.  I noticed later that year, even though the lymph node shrank down that it was often sore and I always was aware of it - like carrying a ball under my arm.  My doctor told me not to worry, that it took a long time for a lymph node to return to normal.  It would on occassion burn or have a stinging pain and then it would stop.

In the past two weeks, its become more sore and then 5 days ago it became very prounouced with pain as did my left breast - a constant clenching pain.  I also began having nausea and night sweats.  I am on the BC pill and when I stopped that yesterday, the pain lessened some but the other symptoms did not change.  I see my regular doctor tomorrow.  Is a biopsy the next step?  I feel no lumps outside of the normal lymph nodes.

I read that pain is not frequently associated with breast cancer?  What about lymphoma?  Why is it that when you enter lymph node pain online you get nothing but cancer links?  What else can cause lymph node pain?  I have not injured myself or been sick to cause it to react?  Could it be hormonal?  Menapause?

One other issue is that my left foot swelled up several times this year and no doctor could determine what caused it, it took 6 months to go away.  This is on the same side.  My other lymph nodes in my body are not noticeably swollen or sore.  Thank you for some feedback and direction.

Hi - I have exactly the same symptoms - swollen and painful lymph node in left armpit and excessive sweating at nights. I am 34 years old and these symptoms started about two years ago. My mother has a history of breastcancer.
I would be very grateful if you could tell me the outcome of your health check. Thanks