Breast Cancer Expert Forum
MRI Located Mass vs. Ultrasound Biopsied Mass

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I had an ultrasound biopsy due to a breast MRI dictating that one was necessary.  It was recommended originally that a MRI core needle biopsy would be the method to be used because they didn't think an ultrasound could pick it up.  However, they ended up doing an ultrasound needle biopsy instead because they could get me in quicker.  However, the MRI indicated that the mass (small .6mm) was 6 cm from the nipple.  The ultrasound biopsy located an area close to the nipple but not 6 cm from it.  Is it possible that the mass biopsied is NOT the one that the MRI indicated and should I ask that a breast MRI core needle biopsy  be done on the original area  to make sure that they did not miss it?  OR, can an ultrasound be matched to the MRI to confirm that the correct area was found?  The area that they biopsied was found upon exam and after the MRI.  HELP!   Thank you very much.
Dear Melis49,  You need to discuss the results with your doctors.  Discuss your concerns with them, they would better be able to put the findings into context and advise whether the biopsy obtained was representative of the area of concern on the MRI.  If you are still concerned you may want to obtain a second opinion.  The consultant would want to review the actual films as well as reports to be able to make recommendations as to whether anything further would be needed to evaluate.

Thank you very much for your answer.  I have called to express my concerns and will be meeting with the surgeon on Friday.  I am grateful for finding your site and hope to report back with good news. God bless.