Breast Cancer Community
Mammogram shows nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Mammogram shows nodule

My mammogram says "the radiologist notes a nodule appearing inferior to the mid portion of the right breast and is recommending additional evaluation..." I am following up Wednesday. There is no breast cancer in my family history. I am 55 and in good health. What are the chances this is benign or malignant? Are such "call-backs" fairly common? Any additional thoughts or general information would be appreciated.

This discussion is related to chances??.
Yes, it is quite common to be called back for additional viewing.I presume that you have been called back to have an additional spot mammogram or an Ultrasound which is usually followed after a mammogram for better evaluation.
Most lumps or nodules in the breast are found to be benign, so hopefully your nodule will prove to be benign in nature also.
It's really hard to tell what this lump could represents, until more testings are done.
Please let us know about the results and try not to worry too much.
Wishing the best and good luck...
The lack of a family hx of BC doesn't make a lot of difference, as 80-90% of people dx with BC do NOT have a known family hx. (Having a strong family hx does make a difference, as the person may want to increase the level of surveillance, and consider genetic testing.)

You have not provided enough information for anyone to attempt to guess what might be going on. Did you receive a copy of the radiologist's report? This would normally contain a BIRADS score, which would give a good indication as to whether the finding is  considered probably benign, suspicious, or highly suspicious. The detailed description of the shape of the nodule (smooth or stellate edges, etc.) would also add information that would weigh toward benign or possibly malignant.

To provide you with a little reassurance, call-backs for additional imaging are very common, and even if someone ends up having to have a biopsy, about 80% of those turn out to be benign.

Best wishes...
I have a nodule in my left breast found out it is a cyst they did a ultrasound and another mammogram should me the pictures right then and there.No breast cancer in my family either I know you will be just fine  let me know and God bless