Breast Cancer Community
Milk Duct Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Milk Duct Removal

My friend had bloody discharge from a nipple.  She said her Dr. removed a milk duct and said it was benign.  She does not want to talk about it.  I am curious as to know what type of biopsy/surgical procedure she had for this and what it is called.  

I myself was diagnosed in March with DCIS by stereotactic biopsy.  Is hers possibly the same?  My Dr. wanted me to have a course of radiation, however, I don't feel good about that.  Can I feel relatively safe with the decision not to have radiation?  Please advise anyone.
Tags: Milk, duct, removal
Hi there.

What your friend has is probably breast duct papilloma.  This is indeed a benign tumor that is the most common cause of bloody nipple discharge.  The treatment for this is surgical resection of the breast duct and is usually curative.  This is different from what you have (DCIS) which is a pre-cancerous lesion.  The radiation would aim to decrease the risk of developing frank cancer in the future and your decision not to pursue radiation may not be that prudent.  Other ways to decrease the risk of developing cancer is to take drugs such as tamoxifen which should be discussed with your doctor.

regards and God bless.
This post may be too late to comfort you.  I had a bloody discharge from one nipple and was sent by an OB/GYN to a breast clinic at Kaiser.  That doctor sent me for a mammogram which didn't show anything.  She sent me to the breast surgeon who recommended removing my milk duct.  I was also very concerned, but was assured that there most likely was a very tiny papilloma irratating the duct.

So I had the surgery, out patient, with only local anesthetic.  There was no pain at all, only a minor "stick" of the needle to numb me up.  The whole procedure took about 45 minutes.  The doc and I enjoyed a good conversation as she operated.  It really wasn't as bad as I had anticipated and imagined.

The doc called today and everything is fine.  It was a hormonal fibroid cyst.  It was removed and should be no worries.  I will admit my breast looks like a big blood blister!  It doesn't hurt at all.  I only took Advil the first day.

So take heart.  Do what your doctor is telling you.  The odds are in your favor that is isn't cancerous and if it is, you are catching it early!
I had the milk ducts removed from my right breast a few years ago because of nipple discharge.  Can you still get cancer in that breast with the milk ducts removed.
I would suggest you start a new question/thread  of your own.

Questions added to someone else's thread are often overlooked because people assume you were just adding another reply to the original question.

Regards...