Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Pain by Drain after Simple Mastectomy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Pain by Drain after Simple Mastectomy

I had a simple mastectomy with a tissue expander inserted 5 days ago.  I have been experiencing severe pain at what I believe to be the site of the drain. It's hard to be more specific since I'm still bandaged.  The pain is not constant, but comes mainly if I try to bend over, lie down, trying to rise after sleeping, and with different arm movements.  I had the same procedure last year on my other breast and this time the pain is certainly more severe.  I don't see my plastic surgeon for 5 more days and I don't want to overreact.  My gut feeling is that it has something to do with the site of the drain.  Possibly it's twisting during certain movements??  If anyone has had a similar experience or thoughts on what might be causing this, I'd really appreciate it.  Thank you!
Dear laurel 13:  You may be right.  It may just be a positional thing related to the placement of the drain.  You should not be shy about letting your surgeon know about the pain.  Depending on the severity, he may want to see you sooner.
Having more pain than usual is a reason to be in touch with your surgeon. It well could be related to the drain; but it's not inconceivable that there could be other healing problems, such as infection. You should not hesitiate to contact the surgeon.
I had that same problem, turned out to be the drain laying against a nerve. If I moved a certain way it just about brought me to me knees. As soon as the drain was removed the pain went away.....
Don't wait 5 days to see your surgeon and don't let your surgeon pooh pooh any concerns you have.  I lost both my expanders to massive infection I came home from the hospital with. My surgeon kept telling me my "fever" was normal for healing, even though he never stuck a thermometer in my mouth. So I couldn't differentiate "healing" pains from the pain from the drains that were infected. Don't ever stop questioning what you don't feel is right...they're not gonna do it for you...you have to be on top of what your body is feeling or not feeling.